It’s now front page news, plain as black and white: Homes for Sale at Historic Low in Santa Cruz. It was plastered right across the front page of the Santa Cruz Sentinel this weekend. If you read the article, you’ll see that the inventory level in January is the lowest it has been in the history of the modern MLS, going back to March of 1996. In the first week of February, there were just 250 homes available for purchase in Santa Cruz county – the lowest ever on record. In January, there was just a 2.6 month supply of homes for sale – also the lowest ever.
Watch my take on this Historic Low in Santa Cruz
What's YOUR home worth TODAY?
Interested to know what your house is worth in today's real estate market? Start with our free Home Value Lookup Tool for an instant, on-line evaluation of your home's value.
I’ve written a great deal about the lack of inventory, it’s something I touch on in nearly every Santa Cruz Real Estate Market Update that I write. The public at large thinks that the real estate market is going gang-busters, because they see prices spiking up. Most people though don’t realize that the real story is that nobody is selling their Santa Cruz real estate right now.
Which makes it an AMAZING time to sell. Demand for real estate is incredibly strong right now. Sellers – the few that there are – have very little competition, and are having a field day. Packed open houses. Multiple offers. Crazy overbids. Cash offers, non-contingent offers. It’s an embarrassment of riches!
If you’re thinking about selling your home in the next year or two, ask yourself this: would you rather sell your home when you know it is literally the best time in history to sell, or take a chance that next year might be even half as good? It’s hard to see how this incredible seller’s market can get any better, or even how it can sustain itself another year. To those of you who are on the fence, I urge you to take a look at the writing on the wall. Or the front page headline news, if you prefer.
- Stop the Madness! Just say NO on AB 1482 September 9, 2019
- 2019 Mid-Year Real Estate Update for Santa Clara, Santa Cruz, and Monterey July 11, 2019
- Silicon Valley Real Estate Prices Drop Sharply in Q1 2019 April 17, 2019
- Senator Scott Wiener Talks SB50 April 10, 2019
- Selling a Home in 2019 vs. 2020 January 27, 2019
Top Posts & Pages
- The Anchoring Effect and Asking Price in Real Estate
- 2019 Mid-Year Real Estate Update for Santa Clara, Santa Cruz, and Monterey
- The Endowment Effect in Real Estate
- Property Tax Rates for Santa Cruz Real Estate
- Just Cause Evictions in Santa Cruz
- The 7-10 Year Real Estate Cycle
- Selling a Home in 2019 vs. 2020
- California 2019 Real Estate Forecast
- The Santa Cruz Housing Crisis