Did that headline get your attention? It sure got mine! Just a few days ago, I was telling some colleagues: “It’s not that bad – while sales in California in June were down around 26%, here in Santa Cruz they were only down 11%.” And that’s about right…but now the July numbers in, and they tell a starker story: sales in Santa Cruz County were down 30% from June of this year…and down about 32% from July of 2005. Yikes! That’s a pretty big drop!
For those of you thinking this is the beginning of the end – you may be right, but, oddly, the median home price continues to march right on upwards. What this indicates to me is that sales of more-expensive homes are stronger than sales of less-expensive homes. Last year, the less-expensive homes were just flying out the door, so to speak – but this year, it’s a tough sell for small homes on small lots.
Readers of my Santa Cruz Market Trends Newsletter will have received this news yesterday – if you want to get the latest market statistics, subscribe to my newsletter or check out the Real Estate Local Report on my website!
- Stop the Madness! Just say NO on AB 1482 September 9, 2019
- 2019 Mid-Year Real Estate Update for Santa Clara, Santa Cruz, and Monterey July 11, 2019
- Silicon Valley Real Estate Prices Drop Sharply in Q1 2019 April 17, 2019
- Senator Scott Wiener Talks SB50 April 10, 2019
- Selling a Home in 2019 vs. 2020 January 27, 2019
Top Posts & Pages
- Just Cause Evictions in Santa Cruz
- Selling a Home in 2019 vs. 2020
- 2019 Mid-Year Real Estate Update for Santa Clara, Santa Cruz, and Monterey
- Property Tax Rates for Santa Cruz Real Estate
- The Santa Cruz Housing Crisis
- Community Appreciation Program
- Red Tags in Santa Cruz County
- Where and How to Write a Review for Us